Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Top 10 Worst "Christmas" Songs




I enjoy Christmas songs, and even when it’s still not technically Thanksgiving, I don’t mind listening to them on the radio so much. But I there are some that will make me change a station as quickly as possible. This list into holiday nausea is somewhat, but not completely in order of least offensive to most heinous.





  1. All I Want For Christmas is You (Mariah Carey)
    1. I just don’t like the Carey arrangement. This was fairly early in her career, when her voice was at it’s best, but this arrangement is too frantic.
  2. Jingle Bell Rock (Bobby Helms)
    1. Can’t put my finger on exactly why I find this song so annoying, but it’s been on my least favorite list since the first time I heard it, and I was probably 6 or 7 years old at the time. Maybe it’s too “pop” for me to consider it a Christmas song.
  3. Dominic the Donkey (Lou Monte)
    1. It’s actually cute, but when the best part of a song is a guy imitating a braying donkey, then you have a problem.
  4. Hey, Santa (Carnie and Melanie Wilson)
    1. Too whiny. Eew.
  5. Last Christmas (Wham!)
    1. George Michael has a great voice. But it can’t save this icky, icky song about some guy who got dumped the day after Christmas.
  6. Feliz Navidad (Jose Feliciano)
    1. “Merry Christmas. Happy new year. I want to wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year,” for what seems like three and a half hours. It actually has the makings of a good song, but it’s so repetitive and overplayed.
  7. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band)
    1. The talking at the beginning, and the never ending chorus ruin what would otherwise be a good rock rendition of this song.
  8. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Andy Williams/Johnny Mathis)
    1. Two great singers, but the song is too sappy, even for me.
  9. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee)
    1. Ugh! I’ve never liked Brenda Lee’s voice, and this is another song that will make the change the station almost immediately.
  10. Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt/Madonna)
    1. This is not only my choice for worst Christmas Song Ever, it’s on my list of All Time Worst Ever Songs of All Time Ever. I abhor this song. Mainly because of the simpering, supposedly flirtatious tone used by the singers. It’s awful. Make it stop. Please.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, cheers, or jeers? Speak, friend, and enter.